It’s officially the holiday season and I couldn’t be more excited about it. Every year when egg nog hits the shelves in stores I find that I just can’t help myself and must indulge. I’ve had a lifelong obsession with this magical holiday brew. There’s just something about that sweet, creamy beverage that really makes me happy. Suzanne and I even have a yearly competition with a few friends to see who can find it on store shelves first and because I seem to be hyper-aware of when it’s coming, I always win. In the spirit of the season and because I have such a deep rooted obsession with the drink, I’ve been working on my own variation for the last couple of years. I think this year I finally nailed it. This recipe can be enjoyed all by itself or with some of your favorite holiday spirits added in.
- Whisk egg yolks using a stand mixer or hand mixer on high speed until they lighten in color.
- Slowly mix in coconut nectar.
- Add vanilla extract coconut milk and grated nutmeg and mix well.
- Add mixture to a medium saucepan and heat on medium low.
- Add cinnamon stick to mixture and allow to steep. This will enhance the egg nog slightly with some cinnamon flavor.
- Stir mixture frequently and allow to thicken. You don't want to rush this process or you'll end up with scrambled egg nog. Cooking is finished when egg nog coats the back of the spoon.
- When finished, remove saucepan from heat and allow egg nog to cool.
- Remove cinnamon stick and refrigerate. Serve chilled by itself or with the option of an ounce or two of your favorite holiday spirit.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****