Ever since I heard yucca fries brought up during one of Robb Wolf’s podcasts as an alternative to sweet potatoes, I’ve been curious to try them. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some sweet fries, but after eating paleo for just about two years, it’s about time that I experiment with an alternative, you know, just to add a little variety into the mix.
So a few nights ago, we were having some friends over for dinner and I decided to give them a try as an appetizer. They didn’t disappoint. They tasted just like french fries but were more nutritionally dense than regular white potatoes.
Since I wasn’t able to get an ‘after’ picture of these beauties, I decided to make them again, but this time as ‘chips’. The cooking process was exactly the same but instead of julienned ‘fries’ I used my food processor’s slicing blade to cut the yucca into chips. They came out just as tasty but I was able to save these and eat them cold since they were in the form of chips. Great alternative!
- 1 3 lb yucca root
- 4 cups water
- 3-4 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 2-3 dried bay leaves
- duck fat, for frying
- salt to taste
- Add water, garlic cloves and bay leaves to a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- While water is boiling, peel yucca root and julienne cut it into fries.
- When water is boiling, add yucca root and cook for 15 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a separate pot, add duck fat and heat to 375° F.
- When fat is hot enough, add yucca fries careful not to burn yourself.
- Fry yucca for about 10 minutes or long enough to get a light golden brown.
- Remove fries from pot and place on a paper towel.
- Add salt immediately, and serve while hot. Don't be surprised if these go fast. These went so fast when I was making them, that I didn't even have time to get a picture of the finished product.
- Repeat frying process until all yucca is cooked.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****