Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching and while we’ve posted recipes that celebrate this day in the past, this is a recipe that Sean has always wanted to do: Beef Barbacoa from Chipotle. There’s just something about that smoky, spicy latin BBQ that he can’t get enough of. Plus, we’ve been meaning to find a use for the amazing beef cheeks that our friend Travis from Tx Bar Organics sent us a little while back. This is the perfect dish to utilize such a great cut of beef and just in time for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo.
If you’re intimidated by beef cheeks, don’t be. It’s just another muscle in the body that rarely gets it’s due. Because it’s such a tough cut (and it’s literally the cheeks of the cow) people really shy away from it, but if it’s cooked slow and low, it is one of the tastier (and cheaper) cuts out there. As a bonus, the cheeks have more connective tissue for added health benefits that you just won’t find in other roasts.
- Rinse beef cheeks with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Season liberally with salt on both sides and place in a crock pot.
- In a blender or food processor combine all remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Set crock pot to high and pour sauce over top. Cook for 5-6 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) covered.
- With an hour to go, shred beef using 2 forks. Stir to completely cover in sauce.
- Cover and cook for 1 more hour.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****