At the beginning of the year, Suzanne and I started the 21-day Sugar Detox with Balanced Bites. It was a tough 3 weeks but we came out much more sensitive to sugar and healthier all around. But don’t believe we didn’t struggle through some nasty sugar withdrawals! Once it ended, we decided it was time for a treat. My girlfriend, who is a phenomenal baker despite being highly gluten intolerant, loves chocolate. It almost borders on obsession at times, especially in cupcakes – thus a new recipe of hers was born! These little guys are super moist, not too sweet, but satisfy chocolate cravings without straying too far from your paleo diet – just don’t over-indulge
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup macadamia nut oil
- ¾ cup raw honey
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a muffin pan with papers. I also spray a bit of oil on the papers so the muffins don’t stick!
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, blend together the eggs, oil and honey.
- Once combined, gently add in the flour mixture and continue until all flour is mixed in.
- Spoon the batter into the greased muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (or with a few bits of moist cake).
- Let cool in the pan before moving to a cooling rack before icing. They are also good warm without any topping!
- Open the coconut milk and spoon out the solid cream (avoiding the milk) into a mixing bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip on high for 4-5 minutes until it has the consistency of whipped cream. This will not have the consistency of your store-bought frosting, so best to ice cupcakes and serve immediately.
- If you have extra cocoa powder on hand, dust a bit over the cream. Enjoy!
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****