If you’re like me, you’re always looking for new and easy sides to add into your weekly meal rotation. There have been times when it felt like all we had was roasted sweet potatoes, which – don’t get me wrong – are delicious, but it’s always good to explore out of your norm. Variety is the spice of life! That’s where this recipe for delicata squash fries comes in. Plus, who doesn’t love fries?!
When I was doing Leaky Gut, I was looking for other carbohydrates to have with my meals and spotted these guys at the grocery store. What I loved even more was that they’re super affordable! In Canada, it’s about $6 total for 4 organic squashes, which is super cheap considering a single squash is a hefty serving for 2 people! Plus, you can eat the skin! They are basically squash fries and they are DELICIOUS.
Pair with your favorite dipping sauce for an even better side!
- 2 medium delicata squashes, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbs ghee (or other cooking fat)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Put ghee on a baking sheet and pop into while preheating. This melts the ghee for you, though be sure to check it to make sure it doesn’t burn. Should only take a few minutes.
- Cut squash into about ¾ - 1” half-rings.
- Toss squash half-rings in ghee on pan, adding in salt and pepper and tossing to cover evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 32-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****