I’ve always been a big fan of pesto. It’s become one of my favorite ways to dress up salads recently as well. We have a small (3 plants) herb garden on our balcony and when I returned home from my hunting trip, I found that the basil plant had grown quite a bit so what better opportunity was there to trim it up some and make my own pesto? Now traditionally, pesto is made with pine nuts but I decided to use raw macadamia nuts (a little more expensive I know) since they are naturally ketogenic in nature with a 3:1:1 ratio of fat:carbs:protein. I was fortunate enough to have a grocery store that sold them in bulk, but if that’s not an option for you, try online. Amazon has some really good deals. The result from the macadamia pesto was a much creamier texture and flavor and it came out great.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse macadamia nuts until finely chopped.
- Add garlic cloves and basil leaves and pulse until evenly combined.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Mix in cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy on salads or as a substitute for marinara sauces or even on the ketogenic pizza!
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****