One of the places we MUST stop at whenever we go to Austin, TX is Picnik. They have a knack for making some amazingly creative and tasty blended coffee options (not to mention the most deadly delicious blondies ever conceived). They start with the idea of bulletproof-style coffee but in a blended variation. So really it’s butter coffee meets a frappuccino from Starbucks. Don’t ask me how they keep the butter from clumping since they’re cold drinks, but they do it somehow. This Hazelnut Mocha Smoothie was born from that.
As a happy bonus, this Hazelnut Mocha Smoothie doubles as the ultimate post workout meal in the mornings. As soon as I finish a workout, I get home and make it for my post workout nutrition. As a bonus, on the mornings I make this for myself, I’m full all morning due to the quality fats and proteins it contains. I regularly only need this smoothie until lunchtime.OMG! Chocolate Hazelnut Coffee Smoothie! Click To Tweet
It really has all the components you’ll need in the mornings.
- Cold Brewed Coffee ~ that seems like an obvious one to help get you going in the morning. You can use regular brewed coffee instead but I like the smoothness of cold brew.
- Collagen from Vital Proteins ~ to help with gut health and get some quality protein in your system first thing in the morning.
- Coconut Milk ~ to add some good quality fats and helps with the creaminess
- MCT oil ~ to boost the cognitive function (great for my epilepsy).
- Chocolate Hazelnut Butter ~ from our friends at Steve’s Paleo Goods because who doesn’t love that flavor combination?
Really, who doesn’t?
Give this Hazelnut Mocha Smoothie a try and be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 banana
- 6 oz cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbs chocolate hazelnut butter (see note)
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen
- 2 tsp MCT oil
- whipped coconut cream for garnish (optional)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp Cinnamon OR Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Place all ingredients except the whipped coconut cream into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and top with whipped coconut cream.
- Place can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight to allow the cream to separate from the water.
- Place mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer overnight as well. It's important that these are kept cold to make a better whipped cream.
- Remove mixing bowl and whisk attachment for either your stand mixer or hand mixer from the freezer.
- Remove coconut milk from the refrigerator and scoop out the cream top layer leaving the water at the bottom.
- Place coconut cream and cinnamon OR Pumpkin Pie spice in the cold mixing bowl and whisk continuously for about 5 minutes.
- Serve on top of coffee milkshake and enjoy. Coconut whipped cream can be kept in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****