When I first switched to a paleo way of eating, one of the food items that was the hardest to give up for me was ice cream. As a former fat kid, it wasn’t all that unusual for me to get a pint of cinnamon bun ice cream from the store and destroy it all in one sitting. Looking back on moments like that, it’s amazing that my health wasn’t actually worse than it was. So, when I decided to make the paleo leap, I really did miss ice cream.
Since then, almost 4 years now, Suzanne has always made a great coconut based ice cream. She’s made it for me countless times and I always love it but I wanted to see if I could recreate the cinnamon bun goodness that I used to enjoy. Luckily for me, my shipment from Steve’s Club earlier this month included a cinnamon swirl flavor of their amazing Paleo Krunch granola. So all I had to do was modify Suzanne’s basic vanilla recipe and make a cinnamon ice cream with cinnamon swirl Paleo Krunch added in. Let me tell you, this came out so well that it may be in danger of being made on a weekly basis.
- Heat coocnut milk, cinnamon, sea salt and vanilla over medium-low heat in a sauce pan, stirring occasionally.
- While coconut milk is heating, whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Add egg and sugar mixture slowly to coconut milk. Whisking to combine.
- Add gelatin and continue whisking until dissolved.
- Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool before transferring to a separate bowl.
- Cover & refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and pour into ice cream maker and operate according to instructions. Allow ice cream to churn for at least 20-30 minutes or until it has a soft-serve consistency.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a freezer-safe container & cover to serve later.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****