This past weekend I tried my hand at using a tool that I’ve always wanted to use: a smoker. A few of my friends have one of their own and I always have to hear about how awesome the food is once it’s done. I have to admit, it made me very jealous and I wanted so badly to have one of my own. So when I finally had access to one over the holiday weekend, I jumped at the chance.
Recently, I have been playing with a cajun style seasoning blend and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to use it on some smoked chicken. As luck would have it, I had one more amazing chicken that I got from my friends at Primal Pastures that I could use as well…Bonus! I have to say, I may be making this regularly. As my friend from Pete’s Paleo put it to me once, “Smoking a chicken is just one of those simple things that takes something boring and elevates it.” He wasn’t wrong. It’s amazing how much better the chicken was on the smoker as opposed to just roasting it in the oven.
- An hour before cooking, soak 3-4 wood chunks of your choice in water and set aside
- Rinse chicken thoroughly and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside to rest 20-30 minutes
- Using a charcoal chimney starter, light charcoal and leave in chimney until charcoal starts to ash over
- While charcoal is preheating, add all seasonings to a small mixing bowl, and mix well
- Liberally coat chicken on all sides and in the cavity with cajun seasoning and set aside
- Spread out hot coals evenly in the bottom of the smoker, there should be enough for 2 layers of charcoal
- Remove wood chunks from water and add to coals
- Fill water pan or other high heat resistant container with water and place in smoker
- Add chicken to cooking grate and cover
- Smoke chicken for 3-5 hours, depending on size, at 230°-260°F. Resist the urge to lift the lid. Each time you open the lid, add 15 minutes to your cook time
- Remove from smoker and let cool for 15-20 minutes
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****