It’s no secret that I’m a lover of all things bacon. It’s a rarity if I don’t have at least a slice in any given day. Over the last few months it’s even gotten to a point where I make all my own now. As much as I don’t want to admit it, sometimes I’m just not in the mood for bacon (hey, no judging). It was because I wanted a little more variety in my breakfasts in particular, that I set out to try and make another one of my favorite meats: Breakfast Sausage.
I’ve always enjoyed breakfast sausage as an alternative to bacon in the mornings. I’m not gonna lie, I used to eat those breakfast sausage sandwiches when I was in college…a lot. When I first switched over to paleo though, I noticed that so many sausage options contained all kinds of fillers and just garbage that I stopped even looking for a version that was clean. Until recently.
Last month I had the privilege to attend a farm tour at Cook Pigs Ranch in Julian, CA. I know I already talked a bit about this fantastic farm earlier in my How to Render Lard post, but I feel like I must reiterate how great this place is. The pigs are treated so well, that I could argue that they live better than a lot of humans out there. While I was there, I was able to purchase some of their fine pork. I got a whole slew of amazing stuff including some of the best ground pork I’ve ever had. It was because of this, that I set out to make my own breakfast sausage so I could enjoy it once again.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well using your hands. To avoid freezing your hands during this step, allow ground pork to come up to room temperature first. Let sausage mixture stand for about 10 minutes.
- Melt lard in a cast iron pan or griddle over medium heat.
- While pan is heating, form sausage mixture into 3 oz palm sized patties.
- Working in batches, fry patties in cast iron pan for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and pat dry.
- Place any remaining raw sausage mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****