It’s summertime and while not officially soup or stew season (that comes in the fall and winter), this is a recipe that we have been testing and making for quite some time. Lately, when we’re not cooking on the grill, we’ve been working on this beef stew recipe for taking to work throughout the week. It really is the perfect recipe to make on a Sunday for your week’s worth of meals to take into the office. While it’s not the most glamorous of meals, it IS packed with all kinds of nutrient dense foods not to mention the gut healing you get with the mineral rich bone broth.
There’s also something about beef stew that brings about visions and memories of an ultimate comfort food from childhood. It’s something that mom used to make by prepping everything in the crock pot in the morning on the way out to work and by the time dinner rolls around, there’s this amazing aroma throughout the house that just makes you want to gobble up several bowls of the hearty stew. The next time you’re wondering what to make for your work lunches, give this a try. You’ll immediately be reminded as to why this is such an amazing comfort food and it will fast become a favorite again.
- 2 lbs grass fed beef stew meat
- 1 lbs grass fed beef liver, cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into half rings
- 1 large butternut squash, cubed
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbs tallow for searing
- sea salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- handful of fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- Place chopped carrots and butternut squash cubes into the bottom of a Crock Pot.
- Rinse stew meat, and cubed liver and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, add tallow and heat on medium-high.
- When the oil is hot enough, sear beef on ALL sides giving it a nice crust, usually about 3-4 minutes per side.
- When the beef is finished searing, place on top of carrot and squash mixture in the slow cooker.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium and saute the onions and mushrooms in the beef juices.
- While the vegetables are sauteing, add beef broth, and seasonings to slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms and onions to slow cooker.
- Cook in slow cooker on low overnight (10-12 hours) or on high for 4-5 hours.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****