This past weekend Suzanne was out so I was left to fend for myself for dinner. I had just received a smoker box for my grill a few weeks prior as a gift and I wanted to try it out. I took a handful of applewood chips and soaked them in water to get them ready for smoking. While the chips were soaking, I looked in the fridge to see what I could grill. Unfortunately, I had all 40lbs of my grass fed ground beef as well as all my steaks in the freezer. The only items I had ready for the grill were, leftover paleo chili Suzanne made a couple nights before, uncured bacon (of course), and some grass fed uncured beef hot dogs from Applegate Farms. With that amount of limited resources, I decided the only responsible thing for me to make was quite possibly, the ultimate ketogenic, paleo meal: bacon wrapped chili dogs.
- Take a handful of applewood chips and soak in cold water for 1 hour.
- After chips have thoroughly soaked, remove from water, pat dry, and place in smoker box.
- Place smoker box on grill and turn grill on high.
- While grill is preheating, wrap each hot dog with a strip of bacon, securing it on both sides with a tooth pick.
- Put chili a small cast iron pot that is suitable for the grill. This way, it will get some extra smoky flavor from the smoker box.
- With the smoker box putting out significant smoke, turn the grill down to low and add the hotdogs and the cast iron pot of chili. Cook about 30-40 minutes, turning them every 10 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Once the bacon is nicely cooked, remove everything from the grill and spoon the chili over the hotdogs and enjoy.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****