When Sean and I heard our friend Kelly Brozyna (aka The Spunky Coconut) was writing a paleo ice cream book, we got really really REALLY excited. We both love ice cream – a lot. Indulging in the creamy goodness probably too often, and sometimes not feeling so great after (we both can handle dairy fine, but sometimes it gets to us). So basically – we needed this book. I’ve made my own vanilla coconut milk ice cream before, but haven’t really ventured to flavors. I love that EVERY recipe is not only dairy-free but also (get ready): gluten-free, soy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free!
Kelly’s no stranger to delicious desserts: her previous book, The Paleo Chocolate Lovers’ Cookbook, is to die for. The yumminess in that book is insane, so we knew her new book, Dairy-Free Ice Cream would be just as amazing.
So far we’ve made both her chocolate ice cream and Butter Pecan ice cream. My two favorite flavors of ALL TIME are Rocky Road & Butter Pecan. I wanted to turn her chocolate ice cream into her recipe for Rocky Road, but it didn’t last long enough to do that! Sean even put a scoop of it in his coffee one morning…a twist on affogato??
And the Butter Pecan? So freakin’ good. We took it to a friend’s house and it was a big hit even with non-paleo people! We did use ghee in the Butter Pecan, but if you’re completely intolerant, she has options.
All this talking about ice cream, I bet you’re thinking “Hey, Suz, how ‘bout you share the love?!?” 🙂 Well, you’re in luck! Kelly has been kind enough to allow us to share a sneak peek of her book and share the Butter Pecan recipe with all of you! We love this book SO MUCH we’re giving away an advanced copy!!!!
Check out the recipe below and enter to win a copy of Dairy-Free Ice Cream before it hits shelves on June 24th!
- 1½ cups pecan pieces
- 2 tbs + ¼ cup ghee or soy free buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- 1/4 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1 (13.5 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup (about 8) soft, pitted Medjool dates
- 1¼ cups almond, cashew, or hemp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional thickener: ½ tsp guar gum or 1 tbs gelatin completely dissolved into ¼ cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spread the pecan pieces on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 10 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Immediately put the toasted pecans in a mixing bowl with 2 tbs of ghee or buttery spread and the salt. Let the heat of the pecans melt the ghee. Stir to combine then chill the nuts.
- Put the remaining ¼ cup ghee, coconut mll, dates, almond, cashew or hemp milk, vanilla extract and thickener (if using) in a blender. Purée until smooth.
- Freeze for about an hour or refrigerate until cold.
- Pour into the ice cream machine and churn per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Chop the pecans, and add them to the ice cream when it reaches a soft serve consistency.
- Eat right away or freeze until hard for pretty scoops.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****